The accused in the assault trial between a Brantford and Woodstock hockey team takes the stand.
WOODSTOCK - The Brantford hockey player on trial for assault following an incident in Woodstock in January of 2013 says he took it too far.
The accused player, who can not be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act as he was 17 years-old at the time, allegedly ripped the helmet off of Woodstock player Nick Major, punching him repeatedly leaving the then 16 year-old with a broken nose, concussion and black eyes.
According to a report by the local newspaper, the 99er's player said at the time, it all happened so fast and he realized after the fact that Major was vulnerable and did not fight back but denied being out of control. He further stated that the game which Brantford lost 7-2 was chippy or aggressive.
The accused said he was surprised that Major did not fight back after breaching hockey's unwritten rule of not messing with the goalie. He further stated that one of his team mates had been severely injured earlier in the game bringing a lot of emotions into the game.
Brantford trainer Scott Taylor also took the stand Wednesday saying the game was aggressive and fast-moving noting that there might have been some hostility on the 99er's bench as they were losing.
He further stated that some of the players were doing things they shouldn't be on the ice but wasn't sure the trial should be taking place.
The accused has pleaded not guilty to the charge. The trial resumes Friday.

Sunrise Farms Expanding into Woodstock
Blandford-Blenheim Candidate Profile - Vanessa Hnat
The Calm After the Storm in Southwestern Ontario
Brant OPP Briefs - May 20th, 2026
Next Executive Director of United Way Oxford Revealed
Former YMCA Building to House Homelessness Support Centre
Trevor Birtch Trial Daily Recap - Case 2
Tornado & Severe Thunderstorm Warning Issued
PWHL Will Expand to San Jose
Interview with the Mayor - May 19th, 2026
Speedster Charged in Brant County
News Poll: Stanley Cup Winner for 2026
Walk for Dog Guides Returns to Oxford
Bid for Kids Sake Fast Approaching!
Oxford's First Heat Warning of 2026
SWOX Candidate Profile - Dave Mitchell
Charges Laid after B&E in Norwich Township
Calithumpian Weekend Hits Thamesford!
Oxford OPP Offer Safety Tips for Victoria Day Weekend
Norfolk OPP Constable Charged with Manslaughter
Comments
Add a comment